Pre-workshop field trip: 2 days in the Limagne Basin (fossil microbialites and microbial-mats sediments)
October, 26th – 27th 2019
The Limagnes Basin (Massif Central) originated from a rifting phase linked to west-European geodynamics (European West Rift) between the Upper Eocene and the Pliocene. It represents an unsurpassed location to study Oligo-Miocene microbialite & metazoan buildups deposited as part of a fluvio-lacustrine and mixed carbonate-siliciclastic sedimentary setting. As a additional benefit, extensive modern microbial mats can be found nearby.
We will be able to observe and assess the diversity of modern and fossil microbial sediments and structures.
As part of this two-days excursion, we plan:
– Based on the analysis of outcrops and/or quarry, to discuss the main depositional environments of the lacustrine deposits.
– To observe the geometry and the composition of the microbial-rich deposits and their association with other biotic components (algae, insects, mollusks etc.).
– To discuss the main controlling factors involved in their formation and development from their spatial and temporal evolution.
- Intent to participate in the field trip is required at the time of registration (no exceptions).
- A number of spots is specifically reserved for students and post-docs.
- The trip may be canceled if under-subscribed and reimbursed.
- Several weeks prior to the excursion, you will receive information with details of the meeting points, transportation during the trip, phone numbers and email addresses of the excursion leaders.
- Proper clothing and field materials are needed for the excursions (i.e., mountain boots, hat, raining clothes, backpack). Details to follow.
- Neither the organizers nor the field excursion leaders can offer insurance covering illness or injury for individuals.
Field trip leaders: Emmanuelle Vennin, Pieter Visscher, Adeline Roche, Anthony Bouton and Christophe Durlet
Number of participants (Min/Max): 18 to 25
Departure/Return: Dijon (University)
Duration: 2 days
Date: October 26th and October 27th 2019. Trip starts Saturday morning (7 AM) and ends Sunday evening (8 PM)
Costs: 250 € (twin room) / 300 € (single room) (will include transport from and to Dijon by minibus (9 places), 1-night accommodation, 1 group dinner, 2 breakfasts, 2 group lunches)